While you can take care of some of the simplest air conditioning issues, generally speaking, is almost never a good idea to repair your AC yourself. Keep reading to learn why.
The Things You Can Fix Yourself
Before we take a look at the reasons why you shouldn’t try to repair yourself complex AC problems, let’s review some of the issues that are safe for anyone to fix:
- Change your filters
- Reset tripped breakers
- Change your thermostat batteries
- Straighten your AC condenser fins
- Clean the area around the outside unit
Fixing the problems listed above doesn’t require specialized knowledge and doesn’t put you, or your unit, at risk.
The issues that go beyond this level of complexity should be fixed by a professional. In the next section we’ll show you why this is important.
This Is Why You Shouldn’t Repair Your AC Yourself.
- There’s electricity involved. Whenever electricity is involved, it’s better to err on the side of caution. Don’t try to fix the electric components of your unit unless you have the proper training.
- It may lead to costly repairs. If you lack professional training and attempt to repair your AC yourself, you may cause greater damage to your unit, leading to more costly repairs than if you had called an expert in the first place.
- Your warranty may become void. Some warranties specify that the unit must be serviced by a certified technician.
- You lack the expertise. AC problems can be more complicated than they appear at first sight. The wrong fix may create other issues or damage other components and you’ll end up calling an expert anyway.
Plus, having your unit serviced by a professional comes with many advantages. For example, a trained technician can perform some preventative maintenance and fill you in on the state of your unit as well as offer advice on the best ways to improve the efficiency of your system.
Zero Heating AC and Refrigeration: the Best In San Antonio, TX
Whether you need to repair or replace your AC unit, or any of its many components, Zero Heating AC and refrigeration and Refrigeration is your best option in San Antonio, Texas.
Contact us today using our website, by telephone (210-900-0824), or through our social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter and to schedule a repair or to get a free estimate. We also offer financing plans for your convenience.