Today we touch upon one of the most common questions about air conditioning: What’s the best setting for your central AC during summer? Keep reading to discover the answer!
So, What’s the Best Setting for Your Central AC During Summer?
To answer this question, let’s first take a look at the official data.
Energy Star, an energy-saving program run by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the U.S. Department of energy, recommends the following settings for your central AC:
- 78o Fahrenheit when you’re home
- At least 85o Fahrenheit when you’re away
- At least 82 o Fahrenheit at night while everyone sleeps
While this may be good general advice, we know that most people in San Antonio, Texas, prefer to set their AC at about 71 o Fahrenheit.
A good strategy you can use to find the ideal settings for your home is to find a temperature that feels comfortable for everyone and then increase it by 4o Fahrenheit at night and by 7o when nobody’s home.
Programmable Thermostats Make Things a Lot Easier
Regardless of the settings you choose, a programmable thermostat can make things a lot easier. This device allows you to create settings that are applied automatically so you don’t have to adjust the temperature every time you leave or arrive home.
There are different types of programmable thermostats; choose the one that best fits your lifestyle:
- 7-day models: Choose this alternative if your routine is different every day of the week.
- 5+2 models: This is ideal if you have a schedule for weekdays and another one for weekends.
- 5+1+1 models: For those who have separate routines for weekdays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
More AC Tips and Ideas
These are some previous posts you can check out for more ideas, and interesting facts about your air conditioning system:
- 4 Reasons to replace your AC filters frequently
- How to tell when it’s time to replace your Air Conditioning
- 9 Common HVAC Terms You Should Know
- 4 Benefits of programmable thermostats
- What does HVAC stand for? (and other useful ac terms)
Need Help Repairing Your AC in San Antonio, Texas?
When it comes to installing, repairing, maintaining, and replacing all brands of residential HVAC in San Antonio Texas, Zero Heating and Refrigeration is your best option. We are located at 4142 Hickory Sun, San Antonio, Texas. Contact us today using our website, by telephone (210-900-0824), or through our social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter and to schedule a repair or to get a free estimate. We also offer financing plans for your convenience!