Halloween is almost here! And while you are unlikely to bump into a mummy or a werewolf, these AC horror stories are very real—here’s how to avoid them.
Strange Noises Coming From Your AC
Depending on the specific problem, your AC can produce some eerie noises, from howling and squealing to buzzing and humming.
In limited cases, AC noises are caused by factors that are easy to identify and deal with (such as debris in your condenser). In most situations, however, weird noises coming from your AC warrant a visit from a professional. Be especially wary of whistling or hissing sounds, as they may be a sign of a refrigerant leak, which can be dangerous to your health and that of your family.
Strange Smells Coming From Your AC
This is another common problem that can be caused by a variety of circumstances. Here’s a quick list of common smells with their most probable causes:
- Burnt plastic. An electric component may be burning. Turn off your AC immediately.
- Rotten eggs. There may be a dead animal stuck in your AC system.
- Gas. This may be a sign that gas is leaking into your ductwork—a really dangerous situation. Turn off your gas supply and contact a professional.
- Musty smell. Water is leaking somewhere in your AC system, causing mildew to build up.
Your AC Won’t Turn On
If your AC won’t turn on, go through these steps to troubleshoot the problem:
- Check your air filter and make sure it’s clean.
- Check your thermostat settings and make sure the batteries are still working.
- Check the power supply.
- Check the inside power switch.
- Check the condensate drain line; it may be clogged.
If none of the above works, then it’s time to call an HVAC professional to check your unit.
Need Help Repairing or Replacing Your Air Conditioning in San Antonio, TX?
When it comes to installing, repairing, maintaining, and replacing all brands of residential HVAC in San Antonio Texas, Zero Heating and Refrigeration is your best option. We are located at 4142 Hickory Sun, San Antonio, Texas. Contact us today using our website, by telephone (210-900-0824), or through our social media accounts on Facebook and Twitter and to schedule a repair or to get a free estimate. We also offer financing plans for your convenience.